Pest Animal Monitoring
Pest animal monitoring in both native and plantation areas is a requirement of FSC certification and important for being able to cost effectively target pest control operations.
Services delivered by Target Pest are underpinned by:
- Staff experienced in the design, fieldwork and data analysis of monitoring programmes.
- NPCA approved operating certificate
- Consistent approach and documented procedures
- Cost effectiveness and competitiveness
- Commitment to health and safety in the forest
Pest animals covered
- Possum – RTC (using wax block or leg hold traps)
- Rabbits – Modified McLean Scale
- Hares – Aligned with modified McLean Scale or night counts
- Mustelids, Rats and Cats (monitor/control for conservation reasons)
- Deer, Pigs and Goats
Formal monitoring systems such as the RTC are comprehensive, both in design and delivery. Several options are available for implementing pest animal monitoring within forests.
- Using full protocols for design, delivery and analysis of results. Obtains statistically sound results, good opportunity for trend monitoring.
- Stratification or sampling ‘management areas’ (trend lines). Uses elements of formal monitoring programmes but don’t waste monitoring resource on areas of low pest animal density.
For more information contact Target Pest Canterbury today! Phone us on (03) 323 6961, 027 4979374 or toll free on 0800 487 277 or click here to contact us via email